1. Identify your Target Audience and define their Information Needs.
You take the first step towards creating a band of dedicated readers for your blog by identifying your audience. Once you have done so, you need to identify which of their information needs you wish to target; keeping in focus at the same time your strengths and the defined niche of your blog.
2. Deliver Value - Every-time.
The next step would be to create content aimed at meeting those specific information needs as identified above. Thus if an article of yours is able to meet 'effectively' a specific information need of your target audience, the same will be valued by your readers. I call this process 'value-delivery'.
Now, I recall your attention to heading above which says that you need to deliver value 'EVERY TIME'. Thus every time you post, you need to ensure that your content is satisfying a 'specific' information need of your target audience and thereby creating value.
An excellent strategy in this regard would be to scan the top blogs in your niche and identify topics with thin content. Target these topics by creating resourceful posts and you could see both your authority and readership growing quickly.
3. Remain Dedicated to your Niche.
Diversify within and not beyond your niche. To build and to retain a dedicated readership, it is important to remain dedicated to your blog's niche and diversify within and not beyond a niche. By diversifying beyond the niche you risk loosing out on your existing readers.
4. Be Visible.
To build a dedicated readership its important to be more 'visible' to your readers. You can achieve this by:
- Being active on Social Media.
- Creating an 'About Me' page and linking therefrom to your social media profiles.
- Encouraging comments on your blogs.
- Replying to reader's comments and queries ;actively'.
- Thanking readers for social shares.
5. Turn Visitors into Readers by giving them a Reason to Subscribe.
Other Tips to Gain More Blog Readers:
- Speed Up your Blog - Nobody wants to wait.
- Impress with your blog design and give visitors another reason to turn into loyal readers.
While all this might seem easy enough on paper, executing the same successfully would be demanding both on your time and efforts. You will probably see very little result initially, but give it time and you are sure to succeed.
Do share your views on the topic.